On Monday 15th September 6 Cub Scouts from Kawana Scout Group received their Grey Wolf Award. Congratulations to Alex, Eli, Ella, Hamish, Lauren and Zac – Well done! Being able to present 6 awards at one time is quite a feat and one Kawana is very proud of! (Particularly when we have already had 2 more from the beginning of 2014!) 8 in one year! Fantastic!!
VIP Guests at the Awards Ceremony included the Honorable Mr Jarrod Bleijie MP, Qld Attorney General, Members of the District and Region teams, representatives from the BP Guild, our Kawana Patron Mr Andrew Champion, families, friends, leaders and other Scouts and Joeys. The Cubs enjoyed some disco dancing prior to parade and the presentation of the awards. The parent committee showed their support by cooking a Sausage Sizzle for everyone and two huge Grey Wolf Cakes were successfully devoured and enjoyed by all.
To fulfil the requirements of the Grey Wolf Award means each of these young cubs has needed to work hard for the past twelve months. With each badge or activity comes hours of preparation work by the cub, it includes a presentation to the pack and examination of their efforts by the leaders and badge examiners. I must also say that I am very proud of our Kawana Cub Leaders who have gladly volunteered their time to do hikes, camps, meetings and badge work with the cubs and who have had such an important part in making these awards happen.
Grey Wolf Award Requirements:
- Gold Boomerang
- Participation in 4 outdoor activities, one of which must be a an overnight camp
- One should be an inter-pack activity
- Using a map, plan and lead a bushwalk of at least 2 hours duration with your leader and a group of 3-6 Cub Scouts. Make sure everyone has appropriate equipment clothing food and a personal first aid kit for your chosen bushwalk
- In the past 12 months have attended two pack councils
- Have completed 4 level 2 achievement badges including 1 from each badge category ie Arts and LiteratureNature, Science and Technology, Sports and Recreation, Our World
- Have completed 1 of the special interest badges ie Landcare, Local History, Water wise, Their Service Our Heritage or several others.
- Develop and present a resource for your six or pack based on your understanding of the Jungle Books. Some suggestions would be a game a skit or play and a shoe box diorama